We’re stepping back further in time. Matej and Anna Teply lived from 1720s to around 1800.
Matej Teply was born a day or two before February 14, 1719. His parents were Jiri and Anna Teply of Pustá Rybná.
He was baptized February 14, 1719 at St. Jakub church in Polička, a three hour walk from Pustá Rybná. Polička was the royal town domain that owned Pustá Rybná and other villages.
And lest you think it was a flat walk, think again.
This is the highlands. So lots of hills and valleys. Five hundred feet of elevation change.
I’ll bet that was a cold walk in February with a newborn baby.
On February 14, the temperature in Polička typically ranges from 25°F to 32°F and is rarely below 11°F or above 43°F.weatherspark.com
Anna Jilek was baptised on May 16, 1723, and probably born a day or two earlier. Magdalena Teply was a witness at the baptism.
Anna’s parents were Jakub Jilek and Veronica Jilek of Pusta Rybna.
Matej Teply and Anna Jilek married November 24, 1741. Witnesses included Matej’s brother and sister, Jiri (George) Teply and Alzbeta (Elizabeth) Teply.
Teply and Jilek families must have been close, because marriage was a family affair.
Matej Teply married Anna Jilek.
Matej’s sister Alzbeta married Anna’s brother Vaclav.
Matej’s brother Jiri married Anna’s sister Veronica.
Matej and Anna Teply’s seven children found so far:
- Matej Teply 23 Apr 1743
- Anna Teply 11 Jul 1745
- Jan Teply 6G 21 May 1748
- Jiri Teply 11 Nov 1750
- Vaclav Teply 1752 d, 21 Jun 1753
- Jiri Teply 18 Feb 1753
- Vaclav Teply 1 May 1755
From various citations, we can determine some of the residences for Matej and Anna Teply. Occupation wasn’t listed.
- 1719-1721 Pustá Rybná Matej and Anna born in Pusta Rybna
- 1741 Pustá Rybná Matej and Anna’s marriage record
- 1743 Pustá Rybná son Matej’s birth record
- 1745 Pustá Rybná daughter Anna’s birth record
- 1748 Pustá Rybná son Jan’s birth record
- 1750 Pustá Rybná son Jiri’s birth record
- 1753 Pustá Rybná son Jiri’s birth record
- 1755 Pustá Rybná son Vaclav’s birth record
- 1769 Pustá Rybná son Jan’s marriage record
- 1770 Pustá Rybná grandson Jan’s birth record
Something is different. For later generations, we’ve seen house numbers. Now, in citations earlier than 1770, there are none.
But we can see that Matej and Anna stayed in Pustá Rybná. It would be tempting to think they lived at house no. 55, but we just don’t know.
I don’t know when they died. It’s hard enough to look at a death register that doesn’t list any family member. And the death register doesn’t usually list a house number.
Here’s a possible death register for Matej. Buried at Pustá Rybná. Age of 50 is about right, he was 53. But he’s from Březiny. Probably not him.
This doesn’t meet GPS (Genealogical Proof Standard), so we can’t assign it to our Matej.
Here’s a possible death register for Anna. It says “Anna Manželka Matěje Teply sedláka”, or Anna wife of Matej Teply farmer. The age of 68 isn’t correct, but mistakes are common.
Pustá Rybná house 71 looks promising. But no proof here either, so we can’t use it.
I’ll bet you can read much of these registers now.
Nibbles Extra Credit
The Genealogical Proof Standard (GPS) is a guideline for establishing the reliability (“proof”) of a genealogical conclusion with reasonable certainty.
It has five elements:
- reasonably exhaustive research
- complete and accurate source citations
- analysis and correlation of the collected information
- resolution of any conflicting evidence
- a soundly reasoned, coherently written conclusion
To reach a sound conclusion, we need to meet all five components of the GPS.
- Matej Teply birth – 1719 – Zamrsk Archives, Czech Republic – s. 1652 – p. 540 – i. 274
- Anna Jilek birth – 1723 – Zamrsk Archives, Czech Republic – s. 1652 – p. 607 – i. 307
- Matej Teply and Anna Jilek marriage – 1741 – Zamrsk Archives, Czech Republic – s. 1663 – p. 176 – i. 94
- Anna Teply death – 1805 – Zamrsk Archives, Czech Republic – s. R18-2 – p. 281 – i. 281 – r. 6
- Matej Teply death – 1772 – Zamrsk Archives, Czech Republic – s. 1674 – p. 116 – i. 61
- Peasant weddings image – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian
- GPS definition – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_Proof_Standard
- GPS graphic – https://worthy2be.wordpress.com/2013/07/23